I gave my Kromski Polanaise spinning wheel a work out this week and got a skein of yarn done! I have always struggled with left over singles on a bobbin when I’m done plying, so I thought (after I started of course and was on my 2nd bobbin) that I was going to weigh the 3rd empty bobbin I had to see how much the bobbins weighed. Then I would weigh each of the singles when I thought I had them about half full (always hard for me to judge) and see if I could get close to not having much left on one of the bobbins after plying the two singles together. As you can see the first bobbin weighed 101 grams and the 2nd bobbin was 93 grams, so I took 8 more grams of the fiber and added it to the 2nd bobbin. They both weighed 101 grams. The empty bobbin for plying was 53 grams.
So I plied the two singles and ended up with 139 grams, and I thought, um, how is that, oh yeah the weight of the 2nd bobbin. I weighed the now empty 2nd bobbin, it was 57 grams, ugh didn’t take into consideration that the bobbins might not weigh the same. So all in all the 1st and 2nd bobbins weighed 57 grams each and the 3rd bobbin that I used to ply them with was 53 grams. I ended up with 90 grams (202 yds) of plied yarn after it was washed. It looks like a light sport weight yarn. I ended up with only 1 yd and 6 inches of left over singles on one of the bobbins, so my experiment was successful. I know the differences between the amount of the singles on each bobbin will always be there because of the inherent inconsistent spinning for hand spun yarn, but I’m pleased over all with how it worked out and how to cut down on left over singles on a bobbin. 🙂
Off to find the perfect pattern for a scarf for my friend, and then on to my next spinning project :).
Hope everyone is having a great Spring. We have had rain for most of our days throughout this Spring. I dream of sunshiny days. I am not a rain person, one reason I don’t live in the northwest coastal areas, I need the sunshine! The few days we have had that were dry, sunny and warm enough to be outside on the balcony without high winds, had me outside on my balcony spinning on my spinning wheel , it’s a peaceful thing to do. Hope you find a peaceful thing to do too. 🙂
One thought on “Spinning Experiment and It’s Yarn!”
That’s a gorgeous color! Great job on optimizing the material in your skein. Weighing is a challenge when you realize you didn’t account for something, but when you overcome that challenge, it leads to amazing results like yours. 🙂 Looking forward to seeing the scarf.
Hope the rest of your spring is wonderful. 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Comments are closed.